The Vampire Diaries season 3 has now unveiled their clever, well-written origin story of vampires. Did you like it?
The Vampire Diaries Season 3 Ordinary People Review
Rebecca (Rebekah) the Lonely Girl
The Vampire Diaries didn’t give us any Caroline Forbes (Candice Accola) in this episode, but at least they gave us some Rebecca. Claire Holt‘s take on this character gives a bit of levity and fun to this ancient vampire gal. I can actually picture Caroline and Rebecca being friends in the future. And tonight’s episode took great strides in bringing Rebecca to our side, after all.
The revelation that Klaus is the one who killed their Mother (which, after she heard it, she realized was true) is a game changer. Suddenly Klaus is not this omnipotent brother that is to be feared and obeyed at all times. Rebecca’s loyalty has been shattered, and I cannot wait to see how she reacts with Klaus now. She’s a pretty nice weapon against Klaus, you know?
Michael, the Darth Vader Father Figure (Optional Bobble Head figurine where he nods disapprovingly!)
But, the better weapon is Michael (and whatever he has.) The show gave us a solid reason for why we should fear Michael over Klaus. Because Michael is Klaus’ Dad! (Well, technically not his biological Dad.) That gives him the credibility we need to back up this whole “oooh everyone is cared of Michael” stuff.
The entire origin story, as told by Rebecca, was really perfect. I loved the details for why the sun and other parts of nature hate on vampires.
Klaus, the Cult Leader
Seriously, he is like a cult leader! Everyone obeys him, loves him blindly out of guilt, etc etc.
Damona and Elena, the Survivors
Now that I’ve gushed about Rebecca, let’s take a moment to talk about Delena (Damon/Elena.) Yes, I adore them – Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder are amazing on and off the screen. They have such a strong sexual tension in their scenes. When they were training at Alaric’s it was so fun (didn’t you love how Damon fake bit at Elena’s neck like it was no big deal? he’s a giant puppy!) and the ending scene in Elena’s bedroom was completely sweet. I kept thinking of how much this pairing reminds me of Joey Potter (Katie Holmes) and Pacey Witter (Joshua Jackson) from Dawson’s Creek. Elena and Damon compliment each other and challenge each other.And Stefan is such a Dawson (James van der Beek.)
I labeled this pair as the survivors because they’re both survivors in general, but especially of the last year and the fallout from Stefan/Jenna/etc.
The Vampire Diaries Season 3 Review Questions (Comment with YOUR answers!)
- Elena/Stefan/Damon reminds me a bit of Rebecca/Klaus/Elijah. Does anyone else see that?
- Do you think Katherine survived Michael? It’d be such a shame if they killed her off, and I kind of doubt they’d do it without a kill scene. She’s probably being tortured somewhere. But that’s just my guess, what do you think?
- In an episode where Elena talks about family being important, didn’t you wish she’d at least seen Jeremy once? He always seems second fiddle in her life.
- What do you think Michael’s weapon is? Himself, a stake? A beanie baby?
- Did you enjoy the Vampire origin story or did you think there were holes? (The one thing I can’t figure out is why Klaus never turned into a werewolf before the hybrid spell was put on him.)
- I could completely see Rebecca/Elijah/Klaus as a TVD spin-off series on The CW. I’d enjoy it more than The Secret Circle, and there would be chances for crossovers (with Stefan aka Paul Wesley) via flashbacks! Would you watch it?
- Now that we know how vampires were made, will we ever learn about how werewolves were? Will this mean that Tyler can pick up chicks by saying he’s part Native American?
« The Secret Circle... | The Secret Circle... »