September 15, 2011 at 9:59 PM EST
The Secret Circle pilot aired tonight on The CW and it was phenomenal. Below is a recap of my favorite moments.
- The sleepy Washington town that Cassie Blake (Britt Robertson) has moved to is where her Mother grew up, and is called Chance Harbor.
- Cassie is now living with her eccentric (maybe she isn’t, but her outfits are) Grandma in a cottage house with a big porch. This house is so cozy. There are stained glass windows, a wrought iron gate…. it’s amazing. Cassie’s room is her Mom’s room. A boy lives next door (isn’t that always the dream for a teenage girl?) and there are mystical stars on the ceiling that provide a connection for Cassie with the memory of her Mother.
- The introductions to two of the female witches were very strong. Diana (Shelley Hennig) is a sweet, girl next door type who just wants to be helpful. Faye (Phoebe Tonkin) has an attitude and is super confident.
- The inevitable Buffy the Vampire Slayer references feel very much worth noting. We have a young blonde girl with newfound powers. There’s a mean girl like Cordelia in Faye, and then a sweet girl like Willow in Diana. Britt Robertson as Cassie even said “my bad” in one scene, which seems like very dated 90’s lingo.
- There are town hangouts, the Boathouse Cafe and an abandoned house. Makes you wish you had more than just a stupid Starbucks, huh?