What follows are several lists of commentary about the 2012 Golden Globes, broken down into categories such as who made us cry because their speech was so sweet, and who made us cry because their dress was so, so bad.
- Tina Fey photobomed Amy Poehler and Jesse Tyler Fergusen photobombed Eric Stonestreet. Smile!
- Some nice love for Downton Abbey.
- It reminded us to watch Laura Dern in Enlightened.
- Jodie Foster showing off her kids.
- Kelsey Grammer won. Matt Leblanc won.
- The almost-getting Meryl Streep her glasses bit that stole focus from her.
- No Ryan Gosling. No Woody Allen.
- Zooey Deschanel’s hair.
- Madonna’s anything-but-modest acceptance speech.
More after the jump
We always tear up at a few acceptance speeches. For 2012 these people made us weepy:
- Michelle Williams, who thanked Busy Phillips and her daughter.
- Octavia Spencer
- Claire Danes for Homeland (Yes!)
- Peter Dinklage for Game of Thrones (Yay) for what he said about his Mom, and poor Martin Henderson. 🙁
Some people are more entertaining when they accept:
- Modern Family Cast and Creator
- Meryl Streep
- Uggie the Dog from “The Artist” with Jean Dujardin
Some presenters stick out for being memorable:
- Jimmy Fallon – he’s likeable!
- Felicity Huffman and Husband William H. Macy sang together and recognized the futility of certain phrases, ending with the charmingly harmonized: “blah blah blah.”
- Helen Mirren, because damn if she isn’t funny. Even though the movie “Red” wasn’t that good.
- Sidney Poitier
The fashion is always so much fun to comment on, even if you aren’t into fashion. Top looks of the evening went to:
- Claire Danes in a black and white J Medel dress, accented with POW red lipstick.
- Angelina Jolie in a white and red Atelier Versace dress and matching red clutch.
- Julianne Moore in a black Chanel dress and Fred Leighton green earrings, and perfect retro hair.
- Kate Beckinsale in a strapless white Roberto Cavalli gown with Lorraine Schwartz jewelry dripping from her.
- Diane Lane in a glamorous, sparkly nude gown by Reem Acra and a deep side part.
- Sarah Hyland and Ariel Winter in Dolce & Gabbana – Winter’s purple party dress stole my heart.
- Jessica Alba in a lavender Gucci gown – dressed by Brad Goreski of the new Bravo show It’s a Brad, Brad World. Bravo!
- Nicole Kidman in a white and gold beaded Versace number.
- Natalie Portman in a pink gown with interesting structural things going on.
- Rooney Mara in a black Nina Ricci dress with bows in the front.
People who need to talk with their stylist
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (Her daughter was the stylist, which is cute. Except when your kid picks out a dress like this.)
- Piper Perabo (Who is so lovely and sweet. Why do bad dresses happen to good people?)
- Jessica Biel