Read this Gossip Girl review to hear the interesting point of fashion we noticed about Chuck Bass.
Gossip Girl “Rhodes to Perdition” Review
The good of Gossip Girl “Rhodes to Perdition”
- I loved Serena’s honesty when she asked her date, “Could we douse ourselves in flour and lick spoons and do other cute things?”
- Dortota refers to Blair’s mail as “correspondence.” I totally want my own Dorota. Only I wouldn’t treat her so badly.
- “From Charlie Sheen to Charlie Brown.”
- Chuck wears lime green socks. Of course he does.
- Charlie is a great actress.
More after the disco jump
- “I was a teenage bulimic.” and “Literal monkey business.” were two gems from therapy. A third gem is that Blair was taking notes.
- Dan and Alessandra with their laptops were pretty adorable. I wish I had someone to do a laptop swap with like that.
- Chuck on loving Blair: “I can’t imagine the day I won’t.”
- The ending scene where we saw Charlie stand in her window of power and say she was untouchable was pretty terrific. The song that played there was “I feel love” by Donna Summers.
- But what is the real truth of what happened to the real Charlotte Rhodes?! I wanna know. Where Is the real Charlie Rhodes?
- Other great Gossip Girl music in this episode included “Simple Desire” by All Mankind “You Could Have it All” by CSS and “The Twilight Hour” by Still Corners. The 60’s music was “Ladies Night” by Kool and the Gang and “Le Freak” by Chic.
The bad of Gossip Girl “Rhodes to Perdition”
- Nate and his whole team at the NY Spectator are gearing up for war…against Gossip Girl. Which is a site probably run by 1 or 2 kids. And the funny part is that Nate and his team still probably won’t win.
- Max seemed to really love Ivy in the first few episodes of Gossip Girl season 5, but he flipped the switch pretty fast into being a greedy jerk. And he’s from Portland and likes to hike? That doesn’t sound like a jerk! But what do I know, I always pick the wrong men.
- When we had a close up on Charlie holding the pill bottle I noticed that Charlie’s fingernails are way, way too long. And they were painted dark. (When you have a dark polish you always go shorter.) Ew.
- Who wouldn’t hate Carol? Her little tantrums are so annoying. “I’m going to go for a walk on the street. Where I’m welcome.”
- Max made a cake, but if it was for the party at the club that really isn’t a big enough cake at all.
- Why is Charlie (Kaylee Defer) getting the best fashion for every episode? Did Blake Lively and Leighton Meester both agree their characters would look awful so that everyone would like Charlie more? With Serena’s old women Dynasty clothing (not counting the 60’s outfit, actually) and Blair’s red mock turtleneck dress… what do they want us to do? I certainly don’t want to run out and copy those fashions. But Charlie couldn’t have looked cuter in her off the shoulder feather dress or her chunk sweater and long necklace.
- Was swiping the playbill even necessary? Once Charlie has admitted she used to go by “Ivy” does it matter if her name is printed as that anywhere? The only mystery is why Ivy, an actress, was only a stagehand.
Grade: I miss the old Gossip Girl. This felt very new. New characters, less interaction with our old characters, etc. B-
React: Do you like Charlie/Ivy? When the truth is revealed, do you think they’ll all still like her? And what are your theories on what happened to the real Charlie Rhodes?
Gossip Girl airs Mondays on The CW and stars Blake Lively and Leighton Meester.