Awkward on MTV is a cult hit among the TV bloggers, TV journalists and TV enthusiasts that I know. Today we’re going inside the most recent episode, “Queen Bee-atches” to see what was so great this time.
Maybe it was an accident, but MTV has scored a hit* with the half-hour scripted TV show called Awkward. Unimpressed by shows such as The Hard Times of R.J. Berger I never had high hopes for anything the network was going to churn out for teens. But this show, it works. It’s more than watchable, it’s addictive. If you’re not already watching, then you have some catching-up to do. Now, here are the review highlights of “Queen Bee-atches.”
- One of Jenna’s BFF’s is Ming, and she wears really unusual hats. I would like to hold them all in my arms and hug them at once. Don’t judge.
- In an exchange in Sadie’s bedroom, Tamara suggests peeing on Sadie’s bed for revenge. When Jenna dissuades her, Tamara agrees, noting that it would leave DNA evidence behind. Tamara’s logic is infallible.
- Even though Jenna’s Mom is kind of adorable because she tries too hard, hes has a flaw in that she wants to be popular. Jenna notes that, “Maybe Mean Girls don’t grow up. They just get older.”
More after the jump.
- Jenna’s impersonation of Sadie saying, “You’re welcome” was pitch-perfect.
- Cupcake revenge! Jenna’s Mom smooshed (and swooshed) a cupcake into some giant vase on her way out of the Saxton’s.
- Power dynamics were highlighted. We can’t pretend they don’t exist. For teens, the idea of who has the power in a relationship or friendship is greatly based on who was the last to text. (This idea was also explored in a Modern Family season 2 episode.) I’m proud of Jenna for switching the dynamics around.
- The jargon in this episode included: Cheapskie, Low pro, Heartless Much? (an homage to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I hope), and Mo to the Fo.
- I’m so glad that Jenna and her Mom didn’t stay in the Knickerknackers because I didn’t want more storylines about this group of old biddies and their younger jerk daughters.
Awkward Episode Guide – Awkward Season 1 Episode 6
Title: Queen Bee-atches
Jenna mingles with the mean girls at an elite charity event. Later, things get even more awkward when she runs into Matty and Jake at the event. Sadie’s diary is found, but it has more than just her thoughts on fashion.
*Maybe it’s not doing well in ratings. I don’t know. What I know is that I think it’s a great show. And that on Twitter, people are marathoning it on the weekends, using the #awkward hashtag tons and talking about how they are surprised by how great it is. People are watching and loving it. That doesn’t always equal great ratings, but it does indicate this is a show with heart.