February 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM EST
Vogue editor Andre Leon Talley has been selected as the latest judge for America’s Next Top Model (for three cycles). While he does have “Vogue” attached to his name, there are a few things to consider…
- He is the one who talked Jennifer Hudson into the Oscar dress with an ugly white bolero. Talley is quoted as saying of Hudson, “I feel that it is my responsibility to be her surrogate uncle of fashion, and I take that responsibility with a great deal of seriousness.” He defends his choice to the end, even though – it was SO wrong on her.
- Another quote attributed to him is about Anna Wintour “Most of the Vogue girls are so thin, tremendously thin, because Miss Anna don’t like fat people.” How very diplomatic of him. Ha.
- Tyra defends her choice weakly: “A lot of people can speak about fashion, but it doesn’t necessarily translate to strong television. But André speaks about fashion and he has such a passion, and the words — the adverbs, the adjectives — he uses! I know it’s going to make the viewer at home go, ‘Wowww.’” Banks added, “It might go over their head, but he’s educating them about a time, bringing them back to a place when fashion was life.”
- Talley’s judge wardrobe will be ONLY his custom-made Chado Ralph Rucci cloaks based on the 17th-century Edo samurai coats. Way to be fashionable and approachable. I heard even Tyra is changing her style for the show based on his presence. Will Tyra herself become less approachable?
- Get ready for the TRULY insane new word “dreckitude”. Talley made it up as a word from “dreck” and “quackitude”. He told WWDaily, “‘Dreckitude’ was whipped out when I thought the challenge was not met or if [the contestants] showed up in perhaps an outfit that I just couldn’t wrap my mind around.” This dude does not need to go making MORE crazy, it sounds like he had quite enough already.
Sirlinksalot: America’s Next Top Model